Hounslow Highways shortlisted in West London Business AwardsPosted on: July 11, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Hounslow Highways has been shortlisted in the West London Business Awards ‘Green Business of the Year’ category in recognition of its approach to delivering a more maintainable and sustainable highway infrastructure.
The Hounslow Highways 25-year project is geared to the immediate need for network regeneration, however the multi-faceted features of the project ensure that there are clear sustainability drivers that ensure the nature of the works and materials used are delivered in a green way that meets not just transportation needs, but also the environmental enhancements that improve the quality of life of those living, working and visiting the borough.
Some of the Hounslow Highways key sustainability initiatives include:
- Increasing recycling levels in the borough and in particular, re-processing the materials being excavated from old roads and footways back into new asphalt materials for footpaths (Foambase);
- Embedding recycling targets across the service, such as recycling a percentage of street cleansing waste and reducing the amount of waste going to landfill sites;
- Through community initiatives, targeting a number of ‘grot spots’ in the borough, such as the removal of graffiti in Barnes Passage in Chiswick and actively encouraging staff members to use the two days per year allowance for completing community projects and volunteering within the local area;
- Overall carbon reduction targets delivered through a variety of measures, such as the installation of the 16,000 new LED street lights which deliver low-energy and low-emissions and also through operating a greener fleet of vehicles;
- Tree maintenance and improvements through sustainable planting and arboriculture to deliver a well-maintained and sustainable tree stock for the future;
- Investment in sustainable features in the Hounslow Highways office and depot in Bridge Road, such as harvesting rainwater to reduce mains water use and installation of solar panels to enable generation of renewable energy for the building.
Hounslow Highways Service Director, Rob Gillespie, said: “I am delighted we have been shortlisted for this prestigious award. We work closely with the council’s regeneration teams to align the project to the medium and long-term development aspirations of the council.”
Cllr Colin Ellar, Deputy Leader of Hounslow Council and Cabinet member for Environment, said: “We all benefit from greener, sustainable approaches to business and Hounslow Highways is making an excellent contribution, by recycling used road materials and installing more efficient LED street lights.”
These are the first and only business awards for West London. They are organised by West London Business, the regional chamber of commerce, and showcase the innovation and entrepreneurial character within West London’s remarkable business community.
The judging panel included: Sir Eric Peacock, Adrian Seal (Senior Editor, Trinity Mirror Southern), Michael Rooney ( London First), Colin Stanbridge (London Chamber of Commerce), Clinton Leeks (HS2), Ash Verma (CE, Gateway Business Consultants), Lalji Vekaria (Director, Saloria Architects), Gita Katbamna (Consultant, Independent), Nigel Milton (Director, Political Relations – BAA), Andrew Ward (Director, Corporate Relations – Brunel University), Alan Holland (Director, Greater London – SEGRO Plc), Suresh Gamlath (University of West London), and Paula Whittle (Principal – Ealing, Hammersmith, West London College).
The winners will be announced at a Gala Dinner Presentation on 28 November 2013 at the London Heathrow Marriott.