Should you require a skip to be placed on the Public Highway, it is the responsibility of a Hounslow Highways registered skip company to apply for a skip permit. Skip permits are not issued to residents or businesses.
Skip hire companies need to apply for a permit prior to placing a skip on the Public Highway. No skip should be placed on the footway or verge. Skip hire companies cannot cross the footway to deliver skips. The skip must be lifted over the footway by a loading device. If the Public Highway is damaged when transporting the skip, the skip hire company will be responsible for the cost of repairs.
Permits will only be issued to a Hounslow Highways registered skip company. A list of registered skip companies can be found at the bottom of this page.
The cost of a skip permit is £89.20. Skip permits are valid for 14 days. If a skip is required within a controlled parking zone (CPZ), the bay will have to be suspended through Parking at London Borough of Hounslow:
Permits will only be issued on condition all regulations are adhered to.
A skip permit is not required for occupation on private land. If in doubt, we advise residents to seek permission.
If in doubt, we advise residents/skip hire companies to seek permission from the landowner.
Once your application has been approved, we will contact you for payment. Issuing of skip permits can take up to 72 hours to process. Confirmation of a CPZ bay suspension period (e-mail) from Parking is required prior to the issuance of a skip permit. Please allow up to 10 working days for permission. Visit:
How to apply
Skip hire companies can apply online via our website: https://fms.hounslowhighways.org
Your company details, details of location for the skip and if parking bay suspension are all required. Once your application has been approved, we will contact you for payment. The issuing of skip permits can take up to 72 hours to process. The confirmation of a CPZ bay suspension period (e-mail) from Parking at London Borough of Hounslow is required prior to the issuance of a skip permit. This approval has to be attached to the enquiry which is being submitted. Please allow up to 10 working days for permission for parking bay suspension.
Report an unauthorised/dangerous skip here
Terms and Conditions
- No skip to be placed on the highway without a valid permit.
- No skip shall remain on the highway after the period specified in the permit has expired.
- The skip should be deposited at the exact location as specified on the permit.
- Maximum period of consent is 14 days. Renewal of permit is not automatic and three working days should be allowed from receipt for the licensing authority to process further application.
- No skip shall be placed on the footway or verge.
- The skip should be clearly and indelibly marked with the owner’s name, current landline telephone number and address.
- All skips on the Public Highway must be lit during the hours of darkness. That is half an hour before sunset and half an hour after sunrise. A yellow lamp shall be placed against, or attached to each corner of the skip. Lamps must remain lit throughout the night.
- The method used for filling of each skip shall not impede or cause a nuisance or danger to pedestrians and vehicular traffic. No planks should be placed on the footway to facilitate filling the skip.
- In the event that a hirer has over filled a skip, under no circumstances may any excess material be deposited on the public footway or highway. Or that there is dust from the contents of the skip.
- No skip positioned on the highway, shall contain any inflammable, explosive, noxious or dangerous material, or any material which is likely to putrefy or to become a nuisance or danger to users of the highway.
- Each skip shall be removed for emptying as soon as practicable after is has been filled.
- The owner of the skip deposited on the highway is responsible for the proper disposal of all materials placed in the skip, ensuring that the highway shall be left in a clean and tidy condition after removal.